My Fibonachos

My Fibonachos
My Fans!

Friday 5 June 2015

A New Problem About Rabbits


Hey Fibonacho Muchachos!

I came across the rabbit problem the other day and I think I’ve discovered the solution. The problem, for those of you who don’t know, is about breeding rabbits in ideal conditions.  So how many pairs of rabbits (male and female) would you have after one year? The solution must obey the following rules:

1.       You start with a pair of rabbits (one male and one female).

2.       Rabbits are sexually mature after one month.

3.       Mating occurs one month after they’re sexually mature.

4.       A pair of rabbits can breed, one month after mating.

5.       A female and a male will be bred every month.

6.       The rabbits do not die.

I have concluded that there will be 233 pairs of rabbits at the end of the year. How I reaching my conclusion is with the sequence: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, and so on. Each number represents the number of pairs one would have after each month. The rabbits aren’t mature yet after the first month, so one would still have a pair at the end of that month. The pair will then take one month to mate and after the second month, one will still have one pair of rabbits. During the third month, the pair will produce another pair of rabbits resulting in two pairs. At the end of the fourth month, the original pair will reproduce yet again but the newer pair will not because they’re not sexually mature leaving three pairs. If the pattern continues, one would just have to add the previous two numbers to receive the new one. I have inserted a diagram down below:


So that’s what I’ve been up to.
See you all next time, Fibonachos!

No comments:

Post a Comment